Skip to main content

Mixed-Methods Training Opportunity at SBM on 3/29

Content on this page is provided for reference purposes only. It is no longer maintained and may now be outdated.

Are you interested in applying for K- or R-funding for Community-Based Participatory Research or Dissemination/Implementation science projects that utilize mixed methods?  If so, there is an outstanding training session at the Society of Behavioral medicine (SBM) in San Diego on March 29th.  The SBM pre-course #2 workshop on translational research mixed methods features Dr. John Creswell, an international expert on mixed methods research, as well as NIH program officers from NCI, NIMHD, and OBSSR, and other funded mixed methods researchers.  Plenty of small-group interactions planned so you can get input on questions that matter to you!  It runs from 9 am-3 pm on 3/29.

Please feel free to share with other colleagues who may also be interested.  Read on for more details below, including links to the portion of the website where the pre-courses are listed, so you can sign up for these or other pre-courses:

SBM pre-course link on website – shows more details about just signing up for pre-courses:  https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/SBM/agenda.asp?h=Full%20Schedule&BCFO=SYM|P|PS

SBM link to register for the conference and pre-courses: http://www.sbm.org/meetings/2017/attendees/hotel-and-travel

Nuts and Bolts of Mixed Methods for Translational Research - Part 1: Embedding Mixed Methods into Translational Research; Part 2: Funding Mixed Methods approaches for Translational Research

Wednesday, March 29 – Society of Behavioral Medicine national meeting, San Diego, CA

9:00 AM - 3:00 PM

Summary: Through a combination of lectures and experiential small group learning, this 2-part pre-course covers the fundamentals of embedding mixed methods core designs into translational research approaches (Part 1) and an applied overview of strategies to obtain NIH funding for translational research approaches that have embedded core mixed methods designs (Part 2).

Part 1 of this 2-part Mixed Methods pre-course will have a strong methodologic focus: Dr. John Creswell will introduce the familiar “core” mixed methods designs or procedures, including the convergent design, the explanatory sequential design, and the exploratory sequential design. In addition, Dr. Creswell will present the cutting-edge approaches that allow investigators to apply these core mixed methods designs to CBPR and D&I research studies. The organizers have designed Part 1 of this pre-course to provide an introduction to mixed methods research, and also to highlight new, innovative ways to extend mixed methods into CBPR and D&I research.

Part 2 of this pre-course will have a strong applied focus towards developing fundable translational research proposals that utilize mixed methods designs. While the material presented will transcend discipline, we will focus on Community-based Participatory Research (CBPR) and Dissemination & Implementation (D&I) research approaches to prevent and manage two different disease states: cancer and diabetes mellitus. NIH program officers, including William Elwood and Cynthia Vinson will describe strategic approaches to obtaining funding in this field, including reviewing the R-award program announcements that often fund CBPR and D&I mixed methods work. We will also include case examples of funded K- and R-award application in CBPR or D&I mixed methods research. Finally, we will hold small group breakout sessions led by 9 K-funded and R-funded mixed methods researchers in CBPR and D&I research. In separate breakout sessions for CBPR and D&I research, respectively, attendees will discuss how to develop their mixed methods research ideas to obtain funding. This 6-hour pre-course includes both Part 1 and Part 2 with a 30-minute luncheon incorporated into the session. Participants may also choose to sign up separately for only Part 1 of the pre-course (2 hours and 45 minutes) or Part 2 of the pre-course (2 hours and 45 minutes)v

Posts/Comments